Show your love this Mother’s Day by planning a fancy and delicious high tea. This event is filled with all the joys from brunch on a smaller, more elegant scale. The best part? We have all the tips and tricks so you and your beloved mother can celebrate this sparkling day to the fullest, all under budget.
If you want to go the traditional route, simple tea will do the trick. Your local grocery store is sure to have a large selection of affordable teas to serve. You can neatly present a variety of tea bags on a tray for guests to choose their teas of choice. However, if you want to try something new, this recipe for Chai Blossom by Bon Appetit is a mocktail with a tea twist that will leave your guests pleasantly surprised.
- 2 chai tea bags
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- 8-12 oz club soda
- 4 whole star anise pods
- 4 lemon twists
- To make the chai syrup, combine tea bags with boiling water in a small bowl, and cover for 8-10 minutes. Add sugar and stir to dissolve. Discard tea bags and let cool.
- Combine chai syrup in a pitcher with lime juice.
- Divide among 4 glasses filled with ice and add 2-3 oz. of club soda to each glass.
- Top with star anise and lemon twists.
Flipp Tip: Take out your fancy glasses for this occasion to serve your drinks in, and top them with fresh fruit to take them to the next level. Also, if you need another time-saving option, simply mix together lemon-lime-flavored soda with your favorite fruit juice for a two-ingredient tasty mocktail.
Layout different snacks such as cheese, crackers, and fruit for your very own charcuterie board. Bite-sized savory food is a high tea staple and this recipe for Spinach and Artichoke Cups by The Domestic Geek is perfect for the theme!
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- ½ cup finely chopped artichoke hearts
- 6 oz cream cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg (beaten)
- Over medium heat in a pan, melt butter and cook garlic until fragrant. Add spinach and cook until wilted, then add artichoke hearts and cream cheese and cook until melted. Season with salt and pepper then remove from heat.
- Lightly flour your countertop and roll out the puff pastry roll to cut into 12 equal squares. Place each square into each cup of a well-greased muffin tray. Fill each with a spoonful of the mixture, and top with some parmesan.
- Brush sides of exposed pastry with egg wash. Bake at 400 degrees F for 15-20 min.
Flipp Tip: Puff pastry is so versatile and easy to use for making endless savory and sweet creations. Try out different fillings and shapes so there’s something for everyone to enjoy.
High tea doesn’t require a main course so it’s great for entertaining and easy on the hostess. Finger foods are your go-to and no high tea is complete without the classic cucumber sandwich. Check out this recipe by Spend With Pennies that uses ingredients you most likely have at home.
- 8 oz cream cheese (softened)
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tsp fresh dill
- 1 tsp fresh chives
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Long english cucumber (thinly sliced)
- 1 Loaf slices bread (crusts removed)
- With a hand mixer, whisk together cream cheese and mayonnaise until smooth. Mix in dill, chives, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Spread bread slices with filling.
- Lay slices of cucumber over half of the bread. Top with additional herbs if desired.
- Top with remaining bread pieces and cut each sandwich.
Flipp Tip: The possibilities are endless with the filling for sandwiches. Substitute the cucumber for chicken and fill the sandwiches with some vegetables or cheese slices. You can even cut them into different shapes to add to the theme of the party.
If you really want to wow Mom on her special day, you can make Tres Leches by Food Network. It’s delicious, easy to make ahead of time, and so very cute when decorated with fresh-cut strawberries.
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk
- 1 ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- ½ tsp almond extract
- Sliced strawberries
- Sifted icing sugar (for dusting)
- 1 ½ cup cold heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl and keep to the side. Beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer and paddle attachment for 10 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add flour mixture then milk and mix until just combined.
- Bake in a prepared 9×13 inch pan for 25 minutes at 350F.
- To make the tres leches, combine heavy cream, evaporated milk, condensed milk, and almond extract in a bowl.
- Make the whipped cream by combining all the ingredients and whipping on medium until you get your desired consistency.
- When the cake is out of the oven and cooled, poke a hole in it with a fork. Slowly pour over the tres leches mix to let the cake absorb it. Dust with icing sugar. Spread whipped cream on top with sliced strawberries. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight before enjoying.
Flipp Tip: If you want to save time simply substitute the homemade cake for a box mix. There are also great affordable dessert options at your local grocery stores. From mini cupcakes, bite-sized brownies, cookies, and pastries, these will fill your set up nicely while providing something sweet for everyone to enjoy.
Elegant, floral, pastel, and spring is the theme for high tea, but you don’t need to buy expensive decorations to get that effect. Use your creativity and set up a tea station with dishes you already have such as a teapot and teacups. Grocery stores carry a wide selection of affordable flowers and bouquets you can fill in vases, and you can blow up some balloons in a pastel color scheme. Also, your food is your decor. Place a table cloth and cover it with all your food to fill it up at different heights using a tiered arrangement.
With these simple tips, you can celebrate your mother with a party as grand as she is. Make sure to check Flipp to get the best deals on your high tea necessities.