This grocery list for family on a budget has everything you need. If you’re tired of overspending on groceries every week and want to feed your family nutritious and delicious meals without breaking the bank — you’ve come to the right place!
Bonus: we’ve linked to ingredients on Flipp so that you can find the best weekly deals to save even more.
Pantry and Fridge Essentials
First things first, let’s talk about the basics. These items are inexpensive and versatile and are a must-have to add to any grocery list for family.
- Rice is an essential ingredient, great for a variety of dishes, including soups, stews, casseroles, bowls, and as a side dish.
- Simple meal idea: Chicken and Vegetable Stir-Fry with Rice
- Pasta is a comforting and filling food that can be served with delicious sauces and toppings, including marinara, pesto, and meatballs— the possibilities are endless!
- Simple dinner idea: Spaghetti with Marinara Sauce and Meatballs.
- Beans are some of the most affordable sources of protein and fiber. Beans can be used in a variety of dishes, including salads, soups, and chili. Flipp Tip: shop for dry beans instead of canned to a larger amount for less money.
- Simple meal idea: Vegetarian Chili with Canned Beans and Tomatoes.
- Canned tomatoes
- Canned tomatoes are a versatile ingredient that can be used in several dishes, including soups, sauces, and stews.
- Simple meal idea: Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
- Bread is a staple food that can be used to make sandwiches, toast, and French toast, among other delicious meals.
- Simple meal idea: Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Tomato Soup.
- Milk and/or alternatives can be used in baking, cooking, and as a beverage.
- Simple breakfast idea: Oatmeal with Milk and topped with Cinnamon and Berries.
- Cereal is a quick and easy breakfast option that can be paired with milk or yogurt for added nutrition and taste. Did you know that generic cereal brands are often made in the same facilities as their brand-name counterparts? Add store-label cereal to your grocery list for family.
- Simple breakfast idea: Cereal with Milk and Sliced Banana.
- Cheese is a must-have ingredient that can be paired with pasta, sandwiches, and salads.
- Simple lunch idea: Caprese Salad with Mozzarella Cheese, Tomatoes, and Basil.
- Butter is a common ingredient in many recipes, including baked goods, sauces, and spreads.
- Oats are a good source of fiber and can be used in oatmeal, granola, and baked goods.
- Simple breakfast idea: Overnight Oats with Chia Seeds, Almond Milk, and Berries.
- Nut-free butter spread or peanut butter
- Fruit jam or jelly
- Pair it with your favorite nut butter or nut-free spred. Need we say more?
Spices and Herbs
Next, adding spices and herbs to your grocery list for family will help you notably enhance the flavor of your dishes. Here are some common spices and herbs that can be used in a variety of dishes:
- Garlic powder
- Garlic powder is a seasoning that can be used to add flavor to a variety of dishes, including roasted vegetables, soups, and marinades.
- Simple dinner idea: Roasted Chicken with Garlic Powder, Cumin, and Paprika.
- Cumin can be used to add flavor to meat dishes, stews, and chili.
- Simple dinner idea: Beef Chili with Cumin, Garlic Powder, and Paprika.
- Paprika is a spice that can be used to add flavor and color to a variety of dishes, including meat, rice, and potatoes.
- Simple dinner idea: Baked Sweet Potatoes with Paprika and Garlic Powder.
Fruits and Vegetables
Now let’s move on to the fresh produce section. Fruits and vegetables are essential for a healthy diet, and they don’t have to be expensive. Look for seasonal produce to your grocery list for family, as they tend to be cheaper and fresher. You may even want to buy frozen fruit and veggies, which tend to be cheaper and even sometimescontain more nutrients than fresh fruit and veg. Check out our post, Fresh vs. Frozen? Here’s Our Food for Thought on the Matter.
- Apples are perfect for a healthy snack or to be used in dishes such as apple pie, applesauce, or roasted with savory spices.
- Simple meal idea: Cinnamon Apple Oatmeal
- Bananas are a great snack on their own or can be used to make smoothies, banana bread, or sliced on top of cereal or yogurt.
- Simple meal idea: Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie
- Oranges are perfect as a snack or can be used in salads, smoothies, or as a juice.
- Simple meal idea: Orange Spinach Salad
- Carrots are an amazing healthy snack that can be used in stir-fries, soups, or roasted with herbs.
- Simple meal idea: Roasted Carrots with Rosemary
- Onions are a staple in many dishes and can add flavor to everything from soups and stews to sandwiches and salads.
- Simple meal idea: Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese
- Potatoes are perfect for a variety of dishes, including mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes, or as a side dish.
- Simple meal idea: Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Spinach can be used in salads, smoothies, or as a side dish.
- Simple meal idea: Spinach and Feta Stuffed Chicken Breast
Next up, protein. Meat and fish can be expensive, but there are other affordable sources of protein that are just as nutritious. If you’re looking for non-animal proteins, check out our post, Meat Prices are Rising – Here are 4 Protein Alternatives to Help You Save.
- Eggs can be cooked in a plethora of ways and used in a variety of dishes, including omelets, frittatas, or as a topping for toast.
- Simple meal idea: Scrambled Eggs with Avocado Toast
- Tofu can be used in various dishes, including stir-fries, curries, or as a meat substitute in sandwiches and wraps.
- Simple meal idea: Tofu and Vegetable Stir-Fry
- Canned Tuna
- Canned tuna can be used in salads, sandwiches, or as a topping for crackers or rice cakes.
- Simple meal idea: Tuna Salad with Crackers
- Chicken can be cooked in a variety of ways and used in stir-fries, salads, or as a topping for pizza or pasta. To shave a few dollars off your grocery list for family, one tip is to buy bone-in, skin-on chicken that you can prep yourself. Plus, it’s juicer and more flavorful!
- Simple meal idea: One pan, baked chicken thighs with potatoes
- Ground Beef
- This type of meat is more affordable than other beef cuts and can be used in lots of different meals like meatballs, stews, casseroles, and more!
- Simple meal idea: Beef and black bean tacos
Last but not least, snacks and treats to add to your grocery list for family. Everyone loves snacks, but they can be expensive and unhealthy. Instead of buying pre-packaged snacks, consider making your own. Here are some healthy snack options that you can easily make at home.
- Popcorn is a healthy snack option that can be enjoyed plain or seasoned with various spices and herbs.
- Simple snack idea: Popcorn Seasoned With Salt and Black Pepper.
- Trail Mix
- Trail mix is a nutritious snack that can be customized to include your favorite nuts, seeds, and dried fruit.
- Simple snack idea: Trail Mix with Almonds, Dried Cranberries, and Sunflower Seeds.
- Whole grain crackers are a delicious snack option that can be paired with cheese or hummus for added protein and flavor.
- Simple snack idea: Whole Grain Crackers with Cheese and Grapes.
- Granola Bars
- Granola bars are a convenient and portable snack that can be enjoyed on the go or as a quick breakfast option.
- Simple snack/breakfast idea: Granola Bar with Yogurt and Banana.
- Yogurt is a versatile ingredient that can be used in both sweet and savory dishes.
- Simple snack idea: Yogurt Parfait with Granola and Berries.
When it comes to baking, having the right ingredients is essential to achieving the desired results. Here are some common baking ingredients that every home baker should have in their pantry:
- Flour is a staple ingredient that can be used to make a variety of baked goods, including bread, cakes, and pastries.
- Simple baking idea: Chocolate Chip Cookies made with Flour, Sugar, and Milk.
- Sugar is an essential sweetener that can be used in baking, cooking, and as a topping for certain foods, such as oatmeal or fruit.
- Simple dessert idea: Baked Apples with Cinnamon and Sugar.
- Baking Soda and Powder
- Baking soda and powder are essential ingredients in baking that help your baked goods rise and achieve the desired texture.
- Simple recipe idea: Fluffy Pancakes made with Baking Soda.
In conclusion, feeding a family on a budget doesn’t have to be boring or bland. With a little creativity and planning, you can provide nutritious and delicious meals for your family without overspending. Add these items to your grocery list for family to stock up on these affordable staples. Happy shopping!