Salads are great any time of the year and colorful ones like this one can be attained even in the winter with the right ingredients.
Whenever I’m making a salad, I try to add the following components to ensure that it’s delicious and satisfying enough to nourish my body for a whole meal:
- Protein and good fats. You can use tuna, salmon, eggs, beans, shrimp, avocado, quinoa or chickpeas. The possibilities are endless.
- Veggies. I always try to include two types, a green leafy vegetable such as lettuce, kale or arugula, and some bright colorful veggies. Peppers, tomatoes, and carrots bring a pop of color.
- Fruit or some type of sweet taste. If I’m not adding fruit to my salad, then you bet the dressing will have a bit of sweetness in it like honey or maple syrup.
- Texture. I like a contrast in texture so there always has to be something to crunch on or even something smooth. I’ve added anything from pumpkin seeds, pecans, or hemp hearts. Celery and cucumber also do the trick. For smoothness, fresh mozzarella always works for us.
- Dressing. The dressing needs to marry all of the ingredients harmoniously. I always include an oil to bind, salt, some type of vinegar to help break down and emulsify the dressing, and a bit of sweetness as mentioned above. Some other popular ingredients are lemon juice and garlic powder.
Quick and easy rotisserie chicken salad
You will need:
- 1 cup cubed rotisserie chicken. I usually set aside the breast, as it’s drier and you don’t notice it as much when added to the salad and dressing.
- ½ red pepper, cut into thin strips
- ½ cup cubed cucumber
- 1-2 cups of washed and dried lettuce. I mixed mine with radicchio to give it a surprise burst of color and flavor
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- ½ cup shredded carrots
For the dressing combine:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
Place all the dressing ingredients in a sealed container. Shake vigorously. Before serving your salad, pour over the dish and combine until all ingredients are covered uniformly. Taste and add any ingredients you feel it needs more of.