The holidays are by far one of the happiest times of the year, and although this year hasn’t been exactly what we expected, there are many ways to celebrate in style…safely at home. Many of us will be staying home for the holidays, and that means it’s time to get creative and bring the holiday magic right to our homes. We have put together some fun and simple ideas to help you do just that!
1. Nothing says ‘happy holidays’ like a holiday playlist
The holiday season is not complete without the festive tunes that we all know and love! Put together a holiday playlist with all your favorite hits, and if you play it on repeat, we won’t tell anyone. We promise this will add a little skip to your step and have you smiling day in and day out. Want to make it even more special? Create a shared playlist with your family and friends so that everyone can add their favorite songs and enjoy the playlist together! Even if you can’t be together, at least you can enjoy the same tunes.
2. Mix up your favorite holiday drink
As the nights get colder and darker, you’ll likely want something to warm you up. So why not indulge and make your days a little more festive with a delicious winter holiday drink? Check out our Flipp Tipps blog post: Jingle All The Way With These Delicious Holiday Drink Recipes for some great ideas on drinks that will warm you up and make you feel festive!
3. Host a virtual holiday party for your friends and family
You might not be able to have the holiday party you’re used to this year, but who says you have to throw away the idea of a party? Host a virtual holiday party for your friends and family and have just as much — if not more fun than last year! There are so many activities you can incorporate to keep entertained for hours:
- Classic Ugly Sweater Contest: Have everyone wear an ugly sweater to the party. Each participant will have a chance to debut their outfit, and the group can vote on who has the ugliest sweater out there.
- Bingo With a Holiday Twist: Bingo is always a crowd-pleaser, but you can make it even better by adding a holiday twist. Make a holiday playlist with all of your favorite holiday songs and use this to create your Bingo boards. Have the name and artist of the song on each Bingo square. Play the playlist on shuffle and see who can get BINGO in this fun and festive way!
- Fishbowl Holiday Edition: Play a holiday version of Fishbowl! Fishbowl is a virtual game that takes you through rounds of Taboo, Charades, and Password. Each player will need to be asked to submit some words which should all be holiday themed. You will randomly be split into two teams, and each team member will alternate turns, giving clues to encourage their team member to guess correctly against the clock. There will be three rounds increasing in difficulty, and cards will be recycled after each round. The team that guesses the most cards across all rounds wins!
4. Wind down with at-home candle making
Set the holiday mood with some homemade candles in your favorite holiday scents! Candles are one of those household staples that you can certainly learn how to make on your own. This is also a great activity for a lazy Sunday at home. Check out this blog by The Spruce Crafts for a simple step-by-step guide. Be sure to browse for candle making kits on Flipp at craft stores like Michaels, and don’t forget to grab some essential oils to create your candles with your favorite holiday scents. Spread your candles out into different rooms of your home, or wrap them up as a homemade holiday gift for your loved ones. Once you learn how to make your own, you’ll never buy a candle at the store again!
5. Make a gingerbread house
Whoever said gingerbread houses were for children definity hasn’t tried to make one as an adult, because the thrill doesn’t fade! Gingerbread houses are a holiday must. It’s an activity that is great for the family to do together or if you want to channel your inner architect, build it on your own. You can even get the crew into the competitive spirit by making a competition out of house building and crowning winners for most creative, most lifelike, and even for the ugliest! With just a gingerbread house kit and some candy toppings, you’ll have a fun-filled day channeling your imagination and creativity.
6. Go on a walk and see a neighborhood light show
One of the most special things about the holidays is the lights that go up all over town. It’s important to take a step back from all the chaos around us and take some time to appreciate the beauty of the holiday season. Take a walk, whether it be with your family or alone, and wander through your neighborhood to see the spectacular lights that your neighborhood has put up. Make a game out of it by having your family vote on a favorite, or simply just look and enjoy the peaceful displays. You can even listen to your fave tunes from the holiday playlist you created, definitely making it feel like the holiday season is in full swing.
There are so many ways to celebrate the holidays and bring the festive season right to your home. Make sure you download the Flipp app to find the best savings and deals to enjoy your holiday season for less.