It’s that time of the year, again, when the gray skies give way to the warm winds — it’s spring! With the springing of lush greenery and neighborhoods that are as fresh as daisies, it’s time to freshen up your house as well. Here are some spring-inspired simple and affordable ways to refresh your home.
Declutter to decorate
An easy way to give your space a mini makeover without spending a dime is by decluttering. The best way to make decluttering easier is by focusing on one room, one space, or even one zone, at a time. You don’t need any fancy-schmancy appliances for decluttering, all you’ll need are five well-defined bins or baskets; each of these can be labeled and used for five different purposes:
- Put away: Use this container to temporarily hold items that have crept up on you and need to be put in their designated spots; for example, some mail you have to sort through or loose items you’ve emptied out from your purse/pockets.
- Recycle: Designate this bin to store all the items that can be recycled such as paper or cardboard.
- Fix/mend: Allocate this basket to store items that need some tinkering. For instance, a shirt that needs a quick button fix.
- Trash: Appoint this container to store items that need to be discarded. We’re thinking of drained batteries, burnt light bulbs, old electronics, and other items that can’t be thrown out in the regular garbage bin and need to be stored somewhere until you can make the trip to dispose of them.
- Donate: Designate this bin to store items that need to be donated to a charitable organization.
Once you’ve decluttered, you can spruce up the space and bring in those minimal decorative pieces!
Spiff it up
Before cleaning, consider giving your cleaning supplies an overhaul. Now, let the spring cleaning begin. Start by dusting the furniture tops, under the shelves, and vacuuming your space. Use a fresh microfiber cloth and glass cleaner to wipe down those glass surfaces and mirrors. Don’t forget to change those sheets in the bedroom or wipe down the bathtub. And, if you’re looking for some more spring-specific cleaning tips, check out our post Tackle the Mess With These Spring Cleaning Tips.
Rearrange and reinvent
The season of spring is all about renewal. You’ll be surprised by how different a room can feel by just moving things around. Use furniture and decor items you already have at home to recreate a room. Try positioning the furniture differently in that room or switching out the furniture and/or the pieces of decor with the items in some other room. Another easy hack is to invest in some affordable shelves or even simple wall hooks to clear items off your surfaces and use up your wall space in a more functional way. Still not 100% happy with the space? Don’t worry, we got some more ideas in store.
Break out the color
To create an atmosphere that screams spring, bring out the bright airy curtains and add little pops of spring colors throughout the room in the form of throw pillows, rugs, or paintings. Or, if you are feeling adventurous, even some bold wallpapers. Choosing spring colors can be quite tricky, but a spring color with one of the highest repeat requests is yellow — it is after all the cheeriest of all spring colors. Another natural shade of popular hue is gray. Other colors that have particular allure in spring are blush, coral, camel, sky blue, or any pastels in general. Lastly, nothing screams spring like the airy color of sage green or olive green.
Embrace the outdoors
Another sure-shot way of refreshing your home this spring is by embracing the outdoors and bringing in the gorgeous greens with some indoor plants. Check out the Home & Garden section of the Flipp app for seasonal catalogs from your local nurseries. Whether you are an already proud plant parent or are just beginning to build a collection of green friends, here are some ways to liven up your space with greenery:
- Play with vines: Shape your vines so they wrap around the floor lamps, mirrors, or around the windows.
- Try terracotta: Pot your plants into terracottas of different designs, colors, and textures.
- Embellish with a tall tree: Try a tall tree or plant and fill those awkward or empty corners in your space!
- Mix and match: To create a harmonious and eye-pleasing scene in your space, arrange plants of varying heights together. Or, better yet, go vertical — hang some plants to fill up the open wall space or the empty corner ceiling.
Spring is the perfect season to spruce up your home, and with these tips, it’s easy to do so while staying on budget. We hope you’re feeling as excited as we are to welcome the new season with a fresh burst of inspiration.