As summer heat and sunny rays make their debut, we’re also firing up the grill in preparation for BBQ season! If you’re a fan of a good-old backyard cookout, then you’re going to love these fresh and affordable side dish recipes to pair with your favorite grilled meats or meat alternatives. These recipes only require a handful of affordable ingredients to help you save time and money.
1. Jalapeno Popper Green Corn Salad by WonkyWonderful
Grilled corn on the cob is a BBQ staple, but now you can enjoy this fave with a creative twist. This grilled corn salad features jalapeños, bacon, and cheesy goodness.
(Makes 8 servings)
- 8 ears of corn
- 2 jalapeños, chopped
- 1 cup bacon, chopped and cooked
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste
- Remove the silk from corn while leaving husks attached.
- Coat each corn cob with olive oil, salt, and pepper and wrap it completely with foil.
- Place foil-wrapped corn cobs on the grill and cover the grill.
- Grill for 15-20 minutes while rotating each cob every 2-3 minutes.
- For the last 2 minutes, open the foil slightly and allow the corn to develop a smoky flavor.
- Remove the cobs from the grill and leave them to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Remove husks and cut kernels off of cobs.
- Mix and stir corn kernels with chopped jalapeños, bacon pieces, cream cheese, and sour cream.
- Season the mixture with shredded cheese, salt, and pepper before serving.
2. Grandma’s Macaroni Salad by Insanely Good
Try this easy macaroni salad, which is sure to remind you of your soul-warming Sundays at Grandma’s house!
(Makes approximately 8 servings)
- 8 ounces of elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- ½ cup green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup red bell pepper, chopped
- ⅓ cup onion, chopped
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp mustard, prepared
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, mix macaroni, celery, bell pepper, and onion well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt, and pepper together until combined.
- Pour the whisked sauces into the mixture and macaroni and vegetables.
- Mix well until the macaroni and veggies are thoroughly coated in the dressing.
- Leave it for 4 hours or more in the refrigerator.
- Stir, serve, and enjoy!
3. Buffalo Cauliflower Kebabs by Delish
Wanna put a flavor-forward twist on healthy and light cauliflowers? Here is a recipe for buffalo cauliflower kebabs.
(Makes 4 servings)
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ½ vinegary hot sauce
- 1 head cauliflower, florets only
- 4 stalks celery, cut
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, cut
- 1 large orange bell pepper, cut
- Blue cheese dressing, for serving
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, whisk together butter and hot sauce until completely combined.
- Add cauliflower, celery, and bell peppers to the mixture of sauces.
- Season with salt and pepper, then toss to the veggies until they are coated with the sauces.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high for 3 minutes.
- Soak the skewers in a shallow pan filled with water for at least 10 minutes to prevent scorching.
- Thread the cauliflower, celery, and bell peppers onto the soaked skewers.
- Transfer the kebabs to the grill and cook for 3 minutes.
- After the 3 minutes, brush the skewers with the buffalo mixture, turn the kebabs, and cook them for another 3-4 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender and slightly charred.
- Transfer kebabs to a platter, drizzle with blue cheese dressing and serve.
4. Grilled Watermelon by The Pioneer Women
Sweet and refreshing watermelon is everyone’s summertime favorite, so why not make it a seasoned snack? Check out this easy recipe for grilled watermelon to end your BBQ meal with an explosion of flavor.
(Makes 6-8 servings)
- ¼ large watermelon, cut into pieces
- 1 ½ tsp Kosher salt
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- Vegetable oil, for grilling
- 1 lime, for serving
- Fresh cilantro, for serving
- Heat the grill to high heat (about 450˚ to 500˚ F) and oil the grill grates with some vegetable oil.
- In a small bowl, stir together the sugar, salt, and some lime zest from the lime.
- Lay the watermelon wedges on a sheet tray and sprinkle the salt mixture.
- Flip the watermelon slices and sprinkle the salt mixture on the other side.
- Place on a cooling rack set over a sheet tray and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Using paper towels, press firmly on the slices to remove the excess moisture.
- Place the wedges on the grill directly and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until grill marks appear.
- Remove the watermelon from the grill and place it on a sheet tray or serving platter.
- Sprinkle with the remaining salt mixture and cilantro.
- Serve with lime wedges, if fancied.
5. Greek Fries by Ahead of Thyme
Lastly, the universally-loved finger food of all time, fries. Hot, crispy, and salty, these Greek fries make the perfect side snack for your favorite grilled meats or meat alternatives.
(Makes 4 servings)
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 dried oregano
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1-2 tbsp feta cheese, crumbled
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Tzatziki sauce, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- Wash and slice potatoes into long french fry strips — you can leave or peel the skin off.
- Fill a large mixing bowl with water and transfer the potatoes in.
- Let the potatoes soak for 20 minutes. Then, drain the water and pat the potatoes dry with a dishtowel.
- Place the potatoes in a dry mixing bowl and olive oil, salt, and dried oregano. Toss the potatoes in the salt and oregano mixture until they are well-coated.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large baking pan in an even layer.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the bottom of the potatoes turn crispy brown.
- Turn on the broiler to high and broil for 2-3 minutes until the top of the potatoes turn brown and crispy too.
- Carefully transfer the fries to a serving dish and top with chopped parsley, crumbled feta cheese, and lemon wedges.
- Serve with Tzatziki sauce on the side for dipping.
Now that you have five fantastic and flavorful recipes to try out, let’s get grilling! But before that, don’t forget to check out the Flipp app to find all your ingredients and supplies on sale for your sizzling selection of side dishes.